Clarie Kelley's Sausage and Cabbage Dish
Bear's Anecdote - Years ago, Bear's mother sent Jodie and Bear a box of recipes. Here is one from the box.
- 1 lb. to 1-1/2 lbs mild Italian sausage (Bear likes sausage)
- 1 head green cabbage
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cans Progresso (TM) Cannelli beans (White kidney beans)
- Garlic to taste
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- Cut sausage into 2-inch chunks.
- Brown sausage in a dollop of olive oil and LOTS of garlic.
- Chop cabbage into bite-sized chunks.
- Put cabbage into large pot with olive oil and garlic.
- Heat and stir cabbage until tender and crisp.
- Pour 2 cans of cannelli beans, including the liquid, over the sausage.
- Heat bean, sausage and juice mixture until quite warm.
- Season cabbage with a couple shakes of crushed red pepper.
- Pour sausage, bean and juice mixture into cabbage.
- Serve with Italian bread, family and good conversation.
Bear recommends a good Italian Chianti with this!