Clarie (Bauer) Kelley's Hamberger Barley Pot
Makes 6 servings
Bear's Anecdote - This recipe always reminds me of home. Clarie Kelley (Bear's mom)
would cook up a batch of Hamberger Barley Pot. Bob Kelley (Bear's dad) would come home
from work, yelling:"Kids! Dogs! People! Various creatures of assorted sizes and shapes! All Hail!"
My three sisters and I would sit at the dinner table with mom and dad, and we'd dig into
this hearty meal. Memories just don't get much better than that!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 cups water
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 3 tomatos, diced
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup barley
- Brown the meat, breaking it up with a fork.
- Add onion and cook 5 minutes.
- Add everything else EXCEPT for the barley.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add barley.
- Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the barley is tender.
- Uncover for the last 15 minutes to reduce liquid.