Clarie Kelley's Hoot Owl Cookies
Bear's Anecdote - Years ago, Bear's mother sent Jodie and Bear a box of recipes. Here is one from the box. These were always a halloween favorite!
- 2-1/2 c. flour, sifted
- 2 tsp. double-acting baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. butter (preferred) or margarine
- 1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 unbeaten egg (race the eggs several times to find the unbeaten one)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1-1/2 sq. baking chocolate
- 1/4 tsp soda
- Chocolate chips
- Cashew halves
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Set aside dry ingredients.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Blend in egg and vanilla.
- Beat well.
- Melt baking chocolate.
- Add dry ingredients into egg mixture and mix well.
- Remove 2/3rds of the dough to flour board.
- Stir soda into chocolate.
- Blend chocolate into remaining dough.
- Chill for 1/2 to 1 hr.
Rolling the Dough
- Roll out half of light dough into a 10x4-inch strip.
- Shape half of dark dough into log.
- Put dark log onto center of light dough strip.
- Wrap the light dough around the dark dough.
- Wrap dough in aluminum foil.
- Repeat wrapping process with remaining halves of dough.
- Chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Slice dough 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick.
- Put two slices adjacent to each other on greased baking sheet.
- Pinch upper corner of each slice to form ears.
- Add chocolate chip to each slice for eyes.
- Add cashew half for beak.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake cookies at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Immediately remove from baking sheet to towel to cool.