Gold Medal Crunchy Bran Muffins
Bear's Anecdote - Years ago, Bear's mother sent Jodie and Bear a box of recipes. Here is one from the box.
This recipe is probably Copyright (C) General Mills
- 1-1/2 c. shreds of wheat bran cereal
- 1 c. hot milk
- 1 c. Gold Medal (TM) all purpose flour*
- 1/3 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/3 c. margarine or butter, softened
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- Crunchy Topping (Below)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease bottoms-only of 12 medium muffin cups, 2-1/2 x 1-1/4-inches.
- Mix cereal and milk, and let it stand until cereal is slightly softened.
- Stir in remaining ingredients (except crunchy topping), just until flour is moistened. Batter will be lumpy.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle with Crunchy Topping.
- Bake until golden brown, about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Immediately remove from pan!
- 1 tblsp. firm margarine or butter
- 2 tblsp. Gold Medal (TM) all purpose flour
- 2 tblsp. packed brown sugar
- Cut margarine into flour and brown sugar.
Bear thinks this recipe is screaming for cinnamon, blueberries, apple chunks or other wonderful things.
* If using "self-rising" flour, decrease baking powder to 1 tsp. and omit salt.
Note: Unbleached flour can be used in this recipe.
High altitude (3500 to 6500 ft) Heat oven to 425 degrees.